Friday, May 13, 2011

"Hot" Chocolate - 3 Minute Double Chocolate (or Very Vanilla) Mug Cake (Gluten Free)

It's been too dang hot to do much of anything the last few days but sit still since we don't have our a/c right now. (We are lucky enough to be able to borrow a window unit and run some fans, however, so we definitely can't complain!) So, turning on a hot oven and heating the whole blasted house for one persons little chocolate cake craving (OK, so no chocolate craving is little, but let's not split hairs here) was not an option. Hot or not, I still wanted some cake! I found this recipe online at Gluten Free Easily a while back that used the microwave to bake a cake and I thought I would give it a try. Cake in a microwave??? Delicious, choclately goodness in mere minutes??? I know, right!? No brainer... Well, I'm really happy to say with just a few modifications and a minor mess (um, minor depends on whose definition of the word you use) I had a really yummy chocolate cake that took no time at all :) The weather has finally cooled a bit, but who couldn't use an easy dessert recipe?

3 Minute Double Chocolate (or Very Vanilla) Mug Cake (Gluten Free)
Serves 1-4 (if you can share)
  • 4 T. gluten free flour blend (I use this one my mom came up with)
  • 2 T. cocoa
  • pinch of baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 T. chocolate chips or chunks
  • 4 T. agave
  • 3 T. coconut milk
  • 2 T. coconut oil, liquified
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • 1/16 t. liquid stevia, vanilla creme flavored
  • 1 lg. egg
Optional: nuts, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, etc., can be added for an interesting flavor combo.

In a large coffee mug (I used a small pyrex mixing bowl) mix the dry ingredients well. Add the wet and combine thoroughly. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. Let the cake sit in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes to finish setting. Remove and serve with whipped topping or frosting-or it was very tasty plain.

UPDATE 5/15/11: I thought I would make this for myself for my b-day coming up with my favorite icing...verdict: mucho better plain! The icing took away from the taste of the cake and was not near as enjoyable. Still good, but not as outstanding as the simple cake by itself :) I think next time I may try to make the cake subbing in gluten free cake mix for the gluten free flour...may be interesting.

UPDATE 5/17/11: Well, I have to say this experiment was a success! Instead of using 4 T. GF flour, I used 5 T. Betty Crocker gluten free vanilla cake mix. I omitted the cocoa and only used 2 T. of  agave. I kept everything else the same. Now I have a vanilla version of my fav mug cake that tastes just as good as its chocolate version!


UPDATE 5/28/11: I was craving cake again last night and had some Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Chocolate Vanilla Sandwich Cookies my mom gave me during the week. I thought those crumbled up in the batter would make a delicious addition and I was right! The possibilities with this mug cake are endless :) Enjoy and let me know what things you have tried!

1 comment:

  1. Well I suppose having a vanilla stand in ok, but go for the chocolate.
    We made dairy free ice cream and an awesome chocolate sauce that you could convert with agave easy.

    ReplyDelete